As the Philadelphia Phillies’ 2012 season sinks further into the abyss, Cliff Lee’s winless streak is one of the team’s defining storylines.
This version of the Phillies is sadly full of aging, highly paid players, who have either underachieved (Lee) or are injured (Roy Halladay, Ryan Howard, and Chase Utley).
Lee, who makes $21.5 million this season, has not won a game since September 26, 2011, a 4-2 win over the Atlanta Braves.
Over nine months have passed since Lee’s last win; appropriately, your world has changed since that time. Let’s take a look:
1. The US declared an end to the Iraq War.
2. Mad Men started their fifth season on March 25 and finished it on June 10.
3. Girls premiered on April 15 and closed its first season on June 17…and has nearly completed shooting a second season.
4. Dick Clark, Robin Gibb, Whitney Houston, Etta James, and Davy Jones died.
5. The NBA lockout ended.
7. The Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup.
8. Alabama won the BCS National title.
9. A plan for a new college football playoff system was put into place for 2014; essentially disbanding the BCS in the process.
10. The Giants won Super Bowl XLVI.
11. Cliff Lee blew a four-run lead to the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 2 of the NLDS.
12. Ryan Howard tore his Achilles tendon at the end of Game 5 of the NLDS.
13. The St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series in seven games over the Texas Rangers.
14. Chase Utley missed Opening Day with a knee injury…and finally returned to action on June 27.
15. Howard began a rehab assignment for his Achilles injury.
17. Joe Blanton won seven times in 2012.
18. Johan Santana threw the first no-hitter in New York Mets history.
19. Aaron Hill hit for the cycle…twice.
20. Philip Humber and Matt Cain threw perfect games.
22. Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from Kris Humphries.
23. Kim Kardashian dated Kanye West.
24. Kate Upton taught everyone how to Cat Daddy.
25. Peyton Manning was released by the Indianapolis Colts.
26. Peyton Manning was signed by the Denver Broncos.
27. Tim Tebow actually won an NFL playoff game.
28. Denver traded Tim Tebow to the New York Jets.
29. Facebook became an IPO.
30. The Adam Sandler two-ton bomb Jack & Jill was released in theaters…and on DVD…and is airing on cable.
31. Jerry Sandusky was arrested on counts of child sexual abuse.
32. Penn State’s Board of Trustees fired Joe Paterno.
33. Joe Paterno was treated for lung cancer.
34. Joe Paterno died.
35. The 43-year-old soap opera One Life to Live was canceled by ABC.
36. The Philadelphia 76ers won a playoff series for the first time since 2003.
37. Tom Coughlin threw out the first pitch at a Yankees game on June 30.
38. Yankees outfielder Dewayne Wise pitched a scoreless ninth inning in a 14-7 loss to the Chicago White Sox last Friday night.
39. Jered Weaver threw a no-hitter in May.
40. Kevin Milwood and five other Mariner pitchers combined to n0-hit the Dodgers on June 8.
41. Kentucky men’s basketball won the NCAA title and had four of its players drafted in the first round of the 2012 NBA Draft.
42. Tom Brady started wearing hipster glasses.
43. R.A. Dickey became the best pitcher in the National League.
44. Linsanity was born.
45. Seven new NFL head coaches were hired.
46. Adele won six Grammys.
47. Adele announced she was pregnant with her first child.
48. The Hunger Games became a movie.
49. Mitt Romney emerged as the top Republican candidate to oppose Barack Obama in 2012 election.
50. July began.
Yeah Cliff, it’s been too long.